Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Stunned

Greetings to Marla’s friends and family,

I am so stunned to read all the tributes pouring in about the short and wonderful life of Marla Ruzicka. I did not know her well, but I remember her as a fabulous, funny, friendly, vivacious and bubbly young person with a huge heart.

Marla worked for me as an intern for a few months in Washington, DC at the 50 Years Is Enough Campaign against the World Bank and International Monetary Fund. She was 19 years old and already knew more about international development issues then many people two or three times her age. For a few years after her internship, I got letters from wonderful places all over the world telling me about her adventures and all of the great work she was doing. I hope that I saved them – I am sure that I will go home this evening and start looking for that correspondence from a young activist.

Marla, I hope that your work continues to inspire young activists all over the world to work for peace and justice. I remember my short time knowing you with great pride.

My love and prayers are with all who loved Marla in this time of sorrow.

Blessed be,

Christopher M. Kaufman, M.Sc.
Executive Director
R.U.1.2? Queer Community Center
Burlington, VT 05402
Christopher@ru12.org